SECOND TRIMESTER ABORTION
We perform Second Trimester Abortions on patients who are between 12 and 18.6 weeks pregnant in one office visit.
If you are 12 or more weeks pregnant, and are having a second trimester abortion, our staff at A-Z Women’s Center will provide you with all the support you will need. You can feel comfortable and safe knowing that your abortion will be performed in a hospital-like setting by a highly experienced specialist in Ob/Gyn and abortion care.
- Length of pregnancy is accurately determined by ultrasound in our office before a 2nd trimester abortion is performed.
- Patients less than 18.6 weeks pregnant are done in one day.
- Second trimester abortion patients will receive intravenous medication for anxiety and pain control. You MUST have an adult to assist you in safely returning home. You will not be able to drive or work for 24 hours after the intravenous medication.
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is available for additional relaxation and pain relief.
A-Z Women’s Center is uniquely qualified to manage genetics and fetal abnormality cases.
Often, these women have a desired and planned pregnancy. However, thru various laboratory and ultrasound testing, a severe abnormality in the fetus is discovered or the woman is found to have a medical condition that makes the pregnancy unusually hazardous.
Note: Our fees for genetic abnormality and maternal medical indications is determined on a case-by-case basis.
What to Expect
- Average patient spends about 1.5 to 2 hours at our office, mostly completing Patient Forms and having various tests performed.
- After review of your forms, we’ll administer an ultrasound and laboratory testing.
- About half of our second trimester patients will have pre-operative medications for one hour. This avoids two & three day procedures like at other clinics in town.
- Second trimester abortion procedures usually taken between 10-15 minutes.
- Post-Op patients spend about 30 minutes in the recovery room.
After Your Abortion
Follow your printed out after-care instructions carefully to insure that you have the best outcome.
- You may eat a light meal after leaving the clinic.
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for one week. After this time you may return to your regular schedule.
- Avoid using Tampons (Unless you can change them frequently)
- Avoid Intercourse
- Avoid douching
Bleeding may last only a few hours or it may persist, for several weeks. If your bleeding soaks more than 2 pads in one hour, call us. It is normal for some women to experience some cramping and clotting, but if it is excessive, call us.
Should you develop any problems aside from light bleeding and minimal cramping, do not hesitate to call us.
We are the best people to handle post-abortion problems in the safest and least costly manner. Should you go to an emergency room for treatment, the hospital staff may not be sympathetic to your circumstances. Therefore, when possible, we ask that you call us before requesting care from another provider.
It is important for you to wait at least 3 weeks to do a pregnancy test after your abortion. It is normal for a pregnancy test to remain positive to 2-3 weeks after the abortion. You should schedule a follow-up appointment with us anytime between 3 weeks and no more than 6 weeks after your abortion.
If you have not had a period by 8 weeks after the procedure, you need an examination to further evaluate this circumstance.
This visit is free of charge. We will do a Pap Smear at this time of your follow-up for the reduced rate of $50. If you wait past 6.6 weeks to request a Pap Smear you will be charged the normal fee of $150.
We continue to provide ongoing care for you after your surgery.
Minor or Non-Emergency Questions:
- Call the center during our regular hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Saturday
- 24 Hours a Day a Physician is on call at (702) 892-0660.