RU486 ABORTION PILL
Medical Abortion commonly known as “RU486” / Abortion Pill can be performed on patients who are up to 9.6 weeks pregnant LMP.
A-Z Women’s Center offers SAFE and EFFECTIVE when administering RU486 / Abortion Pill. The medical abortion involves giving the patient 2 medications to induce a miscarriage.
What to Expect
- First, you will have a consultation with the physician. The physician will explain what to expect during this process answer your questions.
- After your consultation, you will be given the first medication Mifeprex (Mifepristone) to swallow by mouth in our office.
- Next, the physician will provide you with a prescription for Misoprostol, pain medication and an antibiotic before you leave to go home. These 3 prescriptions will cost approximately $20.00 at your local pharmacy. You may utilize our website coupon of $20.00 off your abortion to offset this medication cost.
Patients doing the medical abortion process CAN plan to go to work or school after their initial office visit. Nothing will start to happen until the next day when you insert the 4 pills of Misoprostol into the vagina. You should plan to fill your pain medication and antibiotics at the same time you fill your prescription for the Misoprostol. We suggest running all errands and handling all essential commitments prior to starting step number two of this process.
Our office requirements for the Abortion Pill:
- Must live in or surrounding area of Las Vegas
- Must have a valid Las Vegas ID or driver’s license with current address
- If you do not have a current Nevada ID, you could bring any bill or piece of mail that has been mailed to you at your current address
- Must be over the age of 18 years old
- Must take off of work or school for 2-3 consecutive days following your initial appointment
- Must return for 2nd office visit approximately one week later (ultrasound and doctor examination)
The combination of the two medications Mifeprex and Misoprostol causes a miscarriage.
A transvaginal ultrasound examination must be performed during each office visit to evaluate the effects of these medications.
A small percentage of patients (about 1 in 100) will still need to have a vacuum aspiration and curettage (D&C) due to retained tissue at NO additional cost to you.
This procedure requires extra time, counseling, at least 2 office visits with ultrasounds, and doctor examinations. About 1 in 100 patients will need to have a surgical rescue.