FIRST TRIMESTER ABORTION
A first trimester abortion is considered to be an “early aspiration abortion” that is performed by vacuum aspiration and curettage on pregnancies from 6 to 11.6 weeks since the last menstrual period (“LMP”).
- Length of pregnancy will be confirmed by ultrasound in our office. You may require a second trimester abortion if determined your pregnancy is further along. We achieve a short stay by scheduling individual first trimester abortion appointments throughout the day, instead of group appointments scheduled all at the same time.
- First trimester abortion will be performed under IV Sedation for anxiety and pain control — local anesthesia (awake) or intravenous medication. In order to have intravenous medication, you MUST have an adult to assist you in safely getting home. You will not be able to drive or work for 24 hours after the intravenous medication.
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is available for additional relaxation and pain relief.
What to Expect
The average patient spends about 2 hours at our office, mostly completing Patient Forms, which can be filled out in advance to reduce the amount of time spent.
After review of your forms, we’ll administer an ultrasound and laboratory testing.
The actual abortion procedure usually takes only 5 minutes.
Post-operatively, patients spend about 15 to 30 minutes in the recovery room.
After Your Abortion
Follow your printed out after-care instructions carefully to ensure that you have the best outcome.
- You may eat a light meal after leaving the clinic.
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for one week. After this time you may return to your regular schedule.
- Avoid using Tampons (use sanitary napkins/pads)
- Avoid Intercourse
- Avoid douching
Bleeding may last only a few hours or it may persist, for several weeks. If your bleeding soaks more than 2 pads in one hour, call us. It is normal for some women to experience some cramping and clotting, but if it is excessive, call us.
Should you develop any problems aside from light bleeding and minimal cramping, do not hesitate to call us.
We are the best people to handle post-abortion problems in the safest and least costly manner. Should you go to an emergency room for treatment, the hospital staff may not be sympathetic to your circumstances. Therefore, when possible, we ask that you call us before requesting care from another provider.
It is important for you to wait at least 3 weeks to do a pregnancy test after your abortion. It is normal for a pregnancy test to remain positive to 2-3 weeks after the abortion. You should schedule a follow-up appointment with us anytime between 3 weeks and no more than 6 weeks after your abortion.
If you have not had a period by 8 weeks after the procedure, you need an examination to further evaluate this circumstance.
This visit is free of charge. We will do a Pap Smear at this time of your follow-up for the reduced rate of $75.
We continue to provide ongoing care for you after your surgery.
Minor or Non-Emergency Questions:
- Call the center during our regular hours of 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Saturday
- 24 Hours a Day a Physician is on call at (702) 892-0307