The medical abortion involves giving the patient 2 medications to induce a miscarriage.
What to Expect
- First, you will have a consultation with the physician. The physician will explain what to expect during this process answer your questions.
- After the consultation, you will be given the first medication Mifeprex (Mifepristone) to swallow by mouth in our office.
- Next, the physician will provide you with a prescription for Misoprostol and a pain medication. These 2 prescriptions will cost approximately $20.00 at your local pharmacy. You may utilize our website coupon of $20.00 off your abortion to offset this medication cost.
Patients doing the medical abortion process CAN plan to go to work or school after their initial office visit. Nothing will start to happen until the next day when you insert the 4 pills of Misoprostol into the vagina. We suggest running all errands and handling all essential commitments prior to starting step number two of this process.
Our office requirements for the Abortion Pill:
- Must take off of work or school for 2-3 consecutive days following your initial appointment
- Must return for 2nd office visit approximately 1-2 week’s later (ultrasound and doctor examination)
The combination of the two medications Mifeprex and Misoprostol causes a miscarriage.
A small percentage of patients (about 1 in 100) will still need to have a vacuum aspiration and curettage (D&C) due to retained tissue at NO additional cost to you.